July 2, 2013

Work Travel: Vietnam 2013

When I was little, I used to dream for a job that I can travel around the world. Just think about being paid to visit different places and explore new destinations overwhelmingly excites me. Amazingly, my dream comes true. I am extremely fortunate for the opportunity to represent my college in Vietnam.

airplane parking at Sea-Tac International Airport, Washington, USA

Squeezing out of my full-time schedule, I made some time for a short trip to Vietnam during my vacation week. Traveling for work was definitely different from vacationing. Everything must be carefully planned and scheduled to fit into a limited timeframe (not much room for leisure), but I felt great for being efficient and enjoyed being on-the-roads. Thanks to my college for a generous budget which made my stay in Vietnam was very pleasant.

I am extremely honor and thankful for the opportunity to meet with with prospective Vietnamese students and their parents to share helpful tips and advices for their upcoming study abroad in America. Just recall myself a couple years back, I was on their shoes as being super nervous and cautious when deciding to pursue my educational career in the U.S. I appreciate that life-changing experience which becomes greatly helpful for me to easily connect with the new students and better consult and assist them on preparation. I also enjoyed conversations with study abroad consultants from which I learned much more about the current trends and demands of the study abroad market in Vietnam.

Overall, the trip was a wonderful experience to learn and growth. The only one complaint that I have is the 15-hour flight; I just wish that it could be much shorter.

Beside works, I, of course, tried to sneak out sometime to cruise through places and visit my family in Vung Tau. Here are some photos that I collected along my way.

My flight was scheduled to leave at 2:10am, but it did not depart until 4am due to a delay in check-up. Thanks God we still arrived on time.


I chose to stay at a hotel right next to Ben Thanh Market, which I could walk to most places in District 1.


Day starts early at 5am, and public parks are favorite place for people exercise in the morning.


Yup, this is how traffic in Ho Chi Minh City looks like.






By coincidence, I visited my university while the 2013 Commencement was taking place .

2013 Commencement University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City

I reminded myself to check out the first Starbucks in Vietnam. The place was packed as you would expect at any urban store of this coffeehouse chain.





In case you are wondering about this dish, it is Cao Lầu.



Ho Chi Minh City Hall


Magnificent meeting rooms at the Reunification Palace



Sai Gon River - taken while on my way to Vung Tau.




Tan Son Nhat International Airport